Friday, January 25, 2008

Happy (Inter)National Pie Day

Not everyone knows about this supreme holiday, but the 23rd of January is National Pie Day in the US. In years past, pie pot lucks have been held, pie parties have been thrown, pie-in-the-face becomes a popular sport.

Although we are miles from the US, we have made a commitment to celebrate Pie Day wherever we may be and carry the spirit of pie day to people around the world.

This year we celebrated by making some non-traditional pies. Whoopie pies are a well known treat in the Pennsylvania dutch country side. They are one of my most favorite things to eat when I go to visit my family in PA.


We also had a taste of a famous New Zealand pie--the meat pie. These pies are much like mini chicken pot pies, but filled with any kind of meat and some kind of sauce. Very delicious--flaky crust, meat, cheese, yummm. They are sold in all the bakeries, grocery stores and even gas stations.


We hope that wherever you were the 23rd of January that you enjoyed a day of pie. If you didn't know about the holiday, we hope that you make a commitment to enjoy a piece of pie next year and in years following.

Happy Pie Day to all!

2 comments:

Anna said...

I didn't have pie on the 23rd, but we definitely had homemade brownies and ice cream in celebration!

CJ said...

I just found out about Pie day on another blog, but one day too late to celebrate it!!! I'm glad you weren't as ignorant as I and that you were able to enjoy the opportunities that National Pie Day offers to their fullest. :) We'll definitely be joining the festivities next year. Yum!