
So...America. We're back and ambivalent. We left New Zealand all ready for the adventure that lies ahead. It always seems like there is something good around the next corner in life. We spent a few eye opening days in Fiji on our way back to the States.
We flew into Nadi and took a 3 hour ride across the island to Pacific Harbour. The only real industries that Fiji has is tourism and sugar cane. Fiji consists of over 300 islands with two main islands. Nadi and Pacific Harbour are both in the main island of Fiji. Most of the nice resorts are out on the smaller islands. On our drive across the island we saw people wearing second hand clothing, living in tin homes, huts of bamboo; these people are just poverty stricken. I was embarrassed to be carrying 2 suitcases chock-full of clothes that I don't even really wear. ( I always seem to take more than I need.) I was slightly embarrassed to be American. I hope that doesn't hurt anyone's American Pride, but I must say it was true. How come I live in the land of opportunity and abundance. Here America is, in an economic downturn, a scarring political election, and for the most part self-consumed, thinking that we don't have anything. Our welfare line is far above the level of life that these people live. And yet they are happy, care-free almost. People may say that it's because they don't know any better. I don't think that is necessarily the case. Some of them have a television and they see Americans prancing around in their fancy clothing. They know there is more out there, yet they are satisfied with their lot in life. One might say they are more grateful for what they already do have.
And yet, that is one of the greatest strengths of America--not being satisfied. We are always striving to be better--to be the best. Pushing ourselves to the max. America holds great power through the world. I don't think one can really fully understand the influence our great country has until visited another country. It made me realize how important voting is.
There are many things that are great about America and so many things that are great about where ever you go in this world. Ashton and I learned a lot while we were overseas. One of the most important things that we learned was to constantly express true gratitude.
While we were in New Zealand, Ashton and I mostly worked with the Polynesian people. They are a beautiful people. They are so gentle. I love how they greet you with a kiss on the cheek. They all speak so softly and are so caring and willing to help everyone. Everyone is a brother. Their lives are filled with meaning passed down from their older generations. I could go into greater detail, but I will spare you now. One of the greatest things we learned from the Polynesian people was to be grateful. Ashton and I would go present and whether they were interested in the business or not, they would always express their gratitude for thinking about them enough to at least share what we had to say. They always told us how grateful they were for the help we offered. I never thought of myself as an ungrateful person, but I certainly don't express my gratitude like I should. I think that Christ-like quality really keeps a people humble and keeps them in the hallow of His hand. I am determined to be more grateful. For if these people who hardly have anything can be so grateful, oh how much more I have to be grateful for.
Needless to say Ashton and I had major culture shock when we landed in LA. (LA can be a culture shock even for people just visiting from another state). Aside from the normal adjustments like driving on the other side of the car and the other side of the road--which we still mess up sometimes, not calling people "mate" or using other NZ lingo, there were some major adjustments we needed to make. I didn't realize I could have culture shock coming back. But I have decided that it is because when you go to another country you expect it to be different, but when you come back you don't really expect it to be different. But the truth is that the country really isn't different--I am different. I am not around those gentle people. I am around the rough edged American. People here are abrupt and pushy and rough. I didn't realize it, but it was shocking when I first got back.
I told Ashton that I was excited to see Mexicans and that I really missed their culture. But when I saw the gangsta Mexicans of LA, I decided that I really just mixed Mexican food.
And then we made our flight from LA to Salt Lake--wow! That is a whole other world in itself. Almost more shocking than LA.
We spent one lovely day in Utah with Ashton's family. His brother Tyler graduated from the U of U law school and gave a very nice address to the graduating class. After attending that event we picked up some stuff out of storage, visited some friends briefly and then took off the next morning.
We drove one day from Ogden, UT to Manhattan, KS and spent the night with Ashton's best childhood friend, Dustin. It was lovely to spend time with him and his family. And boy that drive was beautiful. America is beautiful. Everyone says KS is so boring, but I love watching the grass dance in the wind over the rolling hills and feeling the cool wind blow your hair while the sun warms your skin. What a lovely feeling, what a beautiful place.
The next day we drove to Topeka, spent time there. Drove to Kansas City, spent more time there with friends. We didn't leave there until 3pm and then made the rest of the trek east to Pittsburgh, PA where we will be for the summer. That jet lag really came in handy driving all night long to make it. It was quite normal to be up at those odd hours.
It was a whirlwind trip and we each only got a few hours sleep each night. Adjusting has been really tough. We are finally getting used to it though.
The Burg is nice. It is green and hilly. We are still getting used to the people. We went to church the first time yesterday and everyone was really friendly. Many people came up and introduced themselves to us. We are grateful to be a part of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and have family all over the world. It will also be nice to live so close to my family as well.
We are most grateful for the experiences that we have had together traveling and meeting with people. There are things you can learn from people all over the world and even the ones you share the bathroom with. We are grateful to be back in America, where opportunity abounds and abundance truly prospers. We are truly blessed with much more than we ever dreamed and certainly much more than we truly need.
Closing the New Zealand chapter and opening the Pittsburgh chapter of life! Go Penguins!
5 comments:
Welcome to the Burgh... it's not bad once you get used to it really..
Sounds like you had an amazing trip and learned alot about yourself and life in general. I am happy to hear you made it home safe. Why is it that you are always on the other side of the country then I am? I am finally out here on the west coast for the summer and you move east! hahaha At this rate we will never see each other! Miss you!!
Hey Dork--way to go to Pittsburgh and not call--we have a house there and it is sitting empty as we speak, we could have hooked you up
Mark & Erin
This was a great post... I always love talking with people when they have been way from the states for awhile, it seems to lend a very unique perspective to life! Adam I only went to Mexico for a few days when we were first married, and I remember how blown away I was after coming back and realizing what we have here that we take for granted. But also the fact that money seems to make people less neighborly and friendly. We kind of live for ourselves here, don't we?
Adam told me you guys had called and wanted to stop by while you were in Utah- I was sorry to miss you! I guess we'll have to set something up when you get back. Hope you have a great summer!
are you living there for the summer? i know... i am stalking you. i just can't let you and ashton get away from our family. i am the over-zealous adopted sister. hey don't worry about having lots of things as an american. pretty soon we in america, will all be very poor and have to go back to riding horses and bikes everywhere and only have one dress for church and one pair of shoes.
Post a Comment