Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter--Bigger than Christmas?

I think this Easter comic is so funny. It cracks me up every year. Anyway...Ashton and I have just experienced, along with the rest of the Christian world, the divine holiday of Easter.

Here in New Zealand, this holiday is right up there with Christmas-just as it should be. The government has a mandatory declaration stating that all shops be closed on a few holidays-Christmas, Boxing Day, Good Friday and Easter. I also think they might be closed on ANZAC day or something. I'm not sure. (You can apply for a permit to be open, but it is extremely hard to get. You can only get one if you are the only shop around for 50 miles and you have essential life supplies.) It was incredible.

The day before Good Friday, all the shops were packed. And then Good Friday came around and all the world was dead. Nobody was out.

Saturday shops opened again and then Sunday they were closed. Some places are even closed Easter Monday. Schools are not in session from Good Friday to Easter Tuesday.

Many people go out of town for Easter. We stayed where we were and enjoyed pondering our Savior and the gift that he has given all men if they choose to come unto Him. We enjoyed a marvelous fireside where the spirit was strong. We had a great Easter and are grateful for the holiday as a reminder of what the Savior has done for us.

2 comments:

CJ said...

I love that comic too!

Life with the Warrens said...

that is a funny one! isn't it cool to celebrate somewhere that shares the same love for the savior as you do? i will be thinking of you on Passover!