Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Columbia

So I'm pretty sure this is our 39th State capitol or something like that. It's hard to keep track without my little map (that I accidentally left in UT). This weekend, we went down to South Carolina and played a rousing game of croquet on the lawn of the state capitol. These grounds were probably some of the most beautiful Ashton and I have ever seen. The landscaping was absolutely beautiful. Lots of southern looking trees and bushes, magnolia trees, the SC palm that flies on their flag, etc.

One thing that I have found interesting among visiting the southern states is how much the confederate states still means to these people. In the very front on the building is a confederate flag with a monument dedicated to those men. If you look closely in this picture, you can see that the statue of George Washington, his cane is broken off. This is because during the Civil War an angry mob of confederates broke off the bottom of his cane. I remember going to Alabama; that place is filled with confederate history: the place Jefferson Davis gave his inaugural speech, the first confederate white house, multiple statues recognizing the confederacy. It seems to still be quite alive in the South.

After our game we stayed with the Connell family. Ashton wrestled at UNC with their son Ben. It was great to be with them. They have 5 boys and 1 girl and seem to be a great family who love each other and are strong in the gospel. It goes to show that no matter where you live, among many members of the Church of few, strength comes from within the family, not from being around many members. It is what is taught in the home that matters most. We are grateful for their hospitality and love for us. We had a great time with you!

No comments: